Don't WAIT!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Memorial Day Tribute, sent to Recaps by John

Several years ago I vowed that I would honor my comrade who gave all o​n Feb 16,1968 in an LZ in S. VN. 

2x a year I post this because the 1st​ time I ever heard the poem it meant so much... Thanks for honoring An​dy with me. 

My Vets Day and Memorial Day Tribute to A Fallen Comrade, He Gave All.... “WAR! HUH! WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR? ... ABSOLUTELY NUTHIN!”

In the Viet Nam War I was crew chief and door gunner on a US Army Huey helicopter for the 199th Lt. Infantry Bde, Long Bien, Viet Nam.
Mid-day, February 16, 1968, we were called to Ghia Dinh province to do a troop extraction because they were being overrun. The LZ was expected to be hot on my side of the helicpter.

As he was a more experienced gunner than I (I was mechanic trained to be a gunner), the pilot ordered my partner (a trained gunner) door-gunner and myself to switch sides on the Huey. 

Just a moment after our switch my partner and buddy, Charles E Anderson suffered a sniper's fatal head shot while sitting in my normally assigned seat. 

I dedicate to my fallen comrade this poetic tribute to one of the most iconic figures of the war, the Huey door gunner. Written by infantry Marine Sergeant Michael Rierson, the poem accurately describes part of the hell that is war!

Listen as the jet-turbine engine begins to whine....

WAR, HUH! WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR? ... ABSOLUTELY NUTHIN!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fq0vFuIcOac


via Dinar Recaps - Our Blog http://ift.tt/1sWvRF2

No comments:

Post a Comment